Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Protect your PII 101

 Today at work I learned that someone's info was hacked just by simply letting someone "borrow" their cell phone.  I don't know that I've ever just given my cell to a stranger (usually a co-worker or someone I relatively trust.)  And I'm not sure where I first heard of this (maybe from the Chromebook?) but I instinctively knew about "guest" mode.


What is Guest Mode?

Guest Mode allows the use of the basic phone capabilities without having access to your entire device and other important apps that may contain crucial info like banking info, credit card info, pictures, or anything else that would be important to you.  There is no access to owner logins like social media or email.  It simply gives a stranger the use of the basic phone.  In my case on my Google Pixel, they can't even text.

Enabling Guest mode is fairly simple.  I decided to 'turn it on' after hearing said horror story from a customer at work.  For me, all I had to do was change a setting in the user's panel to 'add guest.' From there I can leave my screen/info locked and switch to "guest mode" without logging in.  The phone doesn't even share history or contact info.  It's completely free of any of my data.

With what little research I've done, it would appear this is available on iPhone as well. (Under Accessibility, under Guided Access.)  

You can never be too careful with your PII (Personal Identifiable Information) nowadays so it wouldn't hurt to have it on.  It may just save you from someone (the wrong person) snooping in your info.  As for those that don't do so, well, you may just be finding your info (including your money) stolen from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Progress so far

 I’m really proud of my progress on the game.  Again, I mainly play Lego Fortnite and Festival.  I’ve been doing so well in Festival (Rock B...